Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Hey everyone, time for another update!

Here's the piece I worked from today.


Vincent Van Gogh - "Wheat Field with Cypress"

I absolutely loved working from this image, it was really challenging, and super fun to do. Even to people that aren't very informed when it comes to art and artists, Van Gogh's work is easily recognizable. His style is extremely distinct, and really quite beautiful. Working from this image really gave me a deeper appreciation for his art. I really think the exposure to these different artists and their different styles has been one of the most interesting things I've ever done. When you work from a master painting you're not just copying for the sake of replicating the image and saying "I can do that too," it's really something you learn from. You sort of see through their eyes when you do studies like these, and you learn the reason why they paint the way they did. It's really just fascinating! Let's see how I did.


I really like this one, a lot, a whole lot! This is definitely my favorite piece for this month (at least as of right now). It's not exactly the same as the original, but I'm very happy with my interpretation. Painting the clouds was really fun, they've got these wonderful shades of blue and green in them, even the dark parts of the trees aren't absolutely black. Everything in this image is about color. My favorite parts are the wheat in the foreground, the bush on the left, and the sky. I really wondered how that bush was going to turn out, but after working through the rest of the image I had the information about how to paint it. It was as simple as laying down a couple of colors on top of each other, then making some quick brush strokes to illustrate the branches. If I could put a gold star sticker on this one, I would. I really love it.

Alright, that's all for tonight! Check back again tomorrow for another update!

No comments:

Post a Comment