Monday, March 23, 2015

Hey everyone, it's time for a new post!

Here's the piece I worked from this afternoon.


Gorges Seurat - "Corner of a House"

I really like this image because the subject matter is completely mundane. It's not an epic battle, it's not a portrait, it's simply the corner of a house. The other reason why I like this painting is because of the way the subject matter is presented, it wasn't something the artist rendered with extreme accuracy, it's an abstraction of the subject matter. A very clever abstraction at that! I also like that the red underpaiting is visible to the viewer, it adds an extra bit of depth - the red contrasting against the green. Alright, let's take a look at what I did.


This one turned out okay, I think there's almost too much depth in my painting as opposed to the original. I can't really say if that's a good thing, or a bad thing, but it's definitely a difference. I also didn't leave a lot of the red underneath visible for some reason, though I did start out by painting the whole canvas red. I think I got caught up in showcasing the direction of my brush strokes, that was something the artist did to (I assume) further distinguish the individual parts of the composition from one another. I'm still pretty happy with it though.

Anyway, that's all for today! Check back again tomorrow for something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment