Thursday, March 12, 2015

Hey everyone, here's tonight's update!

This is the piece I worked from today.


Paul Cézanne - "Mont Sainte Victoire Seen from the Bibemus Quarry"

This piece looks pretty simple, but it's not, it's so totally not. There's almost every color you can imagine in this painting, and different shades of that color too. I don't think the composition is any real marvel, but the most marvelous thing about this painting is most definitely the color. Each color, and each color adjacent to that color, are related. Their proximity to each other, and the differences in their hue, help to describe the image the artist rendered. It's not a particularly detailed painting in any traditional sense, but the relationships of the colors are incredibly complex. This one was pretty tough, it took a lot of time to complete, and wasn't something I could do in one sitting. Check out how I did below.


I'm happy with it. it's got its problems, but it's pretty okay. I couldn't quite capture the tree in the upper right corner, how those colors were layered escapes me (for now). The crevice on the side of the quarry is a bit too wide, and too dark. I like my use of color here, I think I really nailed the reds, yellows, and blues in the rock. The foliage could use a bit of work though, there's not quite enough color in there. Looking at a painting like this is like taking a photo, opening it up in Photoshop, and cranking up the saturation to +100. When you do something like this you really appreciate all of the color that's found in the world around you. Tree bark isn't just brown, there's green, yellow, red, even purple in there. It's these tiny extra bits of color in things that tells us they're different from one another, yet they barely even register in our minds when we see an object. I think that's my biggest take-away from this piece, not to simply look, but to see.

Anyway, that's all for tonight. What I've got in store for tomorrow and Saturday will be pretty intense, if I can pull them off that is. Guess you'll find out tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment