Thursday, March 26, 2015

Hey everyone, it's update time!

Here's the piece I worked from today.


Georges Seurat - "The Bank of the Seine"

This painting is pretty straightforward, at least that's what I thought when when I started painting it. It's a little more nuanced then it seems. Let's take a look at what I did and I'll explain.


You might notice this looks a little bit different than my last painting, I'm still messing around with different brushes to try and get the right look. I don't think I have it just yet. Anyway, on to reviewing the painting! There are a few mistakes that jump out right away, the grass in the foreground isn't a light enough shade of green, the horizon's a little lower in my version, and the trees in the background are a bit darker. The figures are all a little larger too, but I suppose that's not too offensive. The main thing I noticed while painting this was how important the color of the water was. I sort of carelessly painted the water blue at first, but when I started painting in the figures I realized what a mistake that would have been. I sort of feel like this is what the artist experienced originally as well. From the looks of the brush strokes around the figures it seems as if the color was added in after, carefully brushed around so as not to disturb them. The reason for this was that leaving the color of the water blue would have caused there to not be enough contrast around the figures, they would have been lost in the composition without that. So that was the little trick I took from this painting. Painting with intention, and with the explicit purpose of describing your scene to the viewer in the most easily readable way, is what's most important.

That's all for tonight, check back again tomorrow for something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment