Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Hey everyone, it's that time again!

Here's the image I worked from today.


"Rosina" - John Singer Sargent

This one's really interesting because it's much looser stylistically then the other paintings I've worked from before. There's a lot of detail that's implied, and on top of that the construction of the painting itself is a bit odd. The darkest point in the painting is the woman's face, yet there's really nothing there that's light to bring out her features, save for a small sliver on the cheek furthest from us. On top of that the background behind her head is also quite dark, which draws your eye downward, this leads to her sleeve. It's quickly done (I would think), and lovely. Her hand is perched palm out on her hip, and is roughly as dark as the corset it appears she's wearing over this flowing blouse. This sort of leads your eye towards the garlic she has strung over her shoulder, which pulls you back up toward her head and then around to the whitest part of that puffy sleeve. The next point of high contrast from there is the apron tied to her waist, there's this small swatch of black meeting the bright white sleeve. This takes you down further, following the folds of the apron. There's an incredible amount of movement your eye can do along this very, seemingly simple, painting. It's almost like when you see a beautiful person walking across a street and you try and take in all of their appearance at once. You never quite capture it all, it's fragmented because your eyes are frantically describing what they see to your brain. Or at least that's how I look at this. Anyway, on to what I did!


I actually like this one a lot, much more than yesterday's, that's for sure. I didn't quite get the darkness of the value behind her head right. It's much darker than I initially thought. I'm not working from black and white versions of the images, I'm looking at them in color to practice discerning the different values myself. That makes it a little tougher, but I think it's worth it. Her proportion's aren't perfect, but they're much better than what was in my last post. Also, I didn't fret over the details too much, there weren't really all that many to worry about anyway.This wasn't my first stab at this image though, so it took two tries to get right. I'll show you the first one in a second, but first, gif time!


Not too shabby, now, here's something shameful.


Ugh. Too short, leaning too far forward, too hippy, too bad. Oh well, least I fixed it, right?

That's all for tonight, look for a new post tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment