Friday, March 20, 2015

Hey everyone, here's something new!

Today we're back to what you've been used to for most of this week, check it out.


Albert Bierstadt - "Storm in the Mountains"

This piece also falls into the category of composition studies a little more than color studies, I seem to have fallen into this trap a few times this week already! I kinda picked from a selection of art produced by artists of the Hudson River School this week, with the exception of Georgia O'Keeffe yesterday. These pieces caught my eye, so I painted them. On that note, let's see how I did here!


I like this one! It's not super awesome, but it's good enough. I will admit this one was done in a bit of a hurry, but it's not bad at all. It still looks somewhat like the original, though I didn't really add enough highlights in the mountain in the background I see. Also, the area between the clouds and the valley isn't as round as in the original. That's an important piece of the reference painting's composition that I didn't get right, so that's not okay. The roundness of the clouds meeting the land and the curve of the land up into the clouds helps to move the eye around the image. The way I painted this sort of forces your eye into the space between, that's not so great. Oh well, lesson learned! Gotta pay attention to those curves!

Anyway, that's all for tonight. Stop by tomorrow for something new, later!

No comments:

Post a Comment