Saturday, February 28, 2015

Hey everyone, here's the last update for February! I'm happy to say today marks the second month I've completed one digital painting a day! Just like last month, I'm gonna start out with a best and worst of the month, let's begin!

The following are presented in ascending order, from not so great (bad), to really awesome. I thought I'd add a few captions to encapsulate my feeling about these portraits, they're meant to amuse and critique! Here we go!



"I have a baby face, and look like I'm in the middle of a tantrum."

So yeah, this one was done on day two. I didn't quite get the length of my face right so I kinda ended up looking like a child. Proportions are important! Also, there's no kinda texture here, it's just flat grey with some dark stuff to indicate features. Yet again, first day wasn't first on the list. Let's see if this trend continues!




"Turtle mouth, stoner eyes."

This one's a little better, it's got a little more texture to it, there's more detail too. It just reads really poorly when not seen at full resolution. For that reason, it's on the bottom.



"First day on the job."

I think this one was a valiant effort! It's not perfect, but I feel like I captured some part of myself in this one. I'm happy a bout that much, but that's about it.



"What do you mean Payless ran out of plastic pumps for the after party!?"

It's expressive, but it's a little too washed out. I also barely scraped this one together, middle(ish) of the pack it is!



"I am crazy guy! I love party!"

This one's got really great energy, the lines are really exciting, but it doesn't look like me. Also, turkey neck. All I can see is turkey neck. Not a good look.



"Never fall asleep in a tanning bed."

This one would have been so awesome were it not for my subconscious attempt to make myself look like the offspring of Tan-Mom and a baked potato. Too dark, way too dark. Nicely executed though.



"What do you mean, 'I look constipated?' "

If you read this you know why I've put that quote here.

NUMBER 3


This one is beautiful, I'm so proud of this piece! The skin texture is phenomenal. I love my expression. It's just great, almost perfect, but my jawline's not quite right. This one was also a struggle to finish, so I think of it very fondly for that reason. 

NUMBER 2


This one is fantastic! My beard really shines here. The light's also really great. The tonality helps to showcase the forms that make up my neck, shoulder, and collarbone area. This one isn't number one because it's a profile view, and therefore wasn't all that technically difficult.

So, here it is, the moment a small group of people have been mildly interested to see!


NUMBER 1


Here's the reference photo, rather dramatic, right? Aaaaaand this is how it turned out!


This one's really awesome, I feel like everything really 'clicked' tonight. It didn't even take all that long, about 2 hours. Compared to my 2nd and 3rd picks that's a third of the time! The other thing I'm really proud of is the way the teeth and mouth came out. That was probably the hardest thing for me to grasp since I've started, and I pretty well nailed it here.

Anyway, thanks for sticking with me this month everyone! I hope 28 pictures of my face wasn't too hard to endure. Next month's gonna be filled with some pretty cool stuff! Check back tomorrow to see what that'll be!

See you in March!



No comments:

Post a Comment