Saturday, February 14, 2015

Hey everyone, it's time for a special Valentine's Day update! I think I outdid myself today, let's see what you think.


Here's our photo reference, what I came up with is down below!


I'm pretty impressed with this one, I honestly surprised myself. It might seem sort of random, but I did a quick study of some eggs I made for breakfast today, and I think it helped me with creating this image. Here, have a look.


This is the original photo up top, and here's the is painting below.


It's pretty funny how painting eggs in a skillet could contribute to insight in painting a portrait, but I guess that's how this sort of thing works. Before I finished the eggs I thought they just looked a bit too soft, there wasn't any clear delineation between the eggs and the pan. They all sort of blended together. The only thing that separated them was a difference in value, and that wasn't enough to define them. I took a small brush and started etching in the blacks and whites and that did the trick! I feel like it really helped me nail the beard and also the tone of my skin. I don't really know what else to say about this one, other than I'm pretty proud.

Thanks for stopping by and checking this out, hope you had a great day! Check back tomorrow for another update, I can't guarantee it'll be as good as this one, but I'm gonna try like hell! 

No comments:

Post a Comment