Thursday, April 23, 2015

Hey everyone, it's update time again!

I want to start off by saying this has been one of the toughest things I've ever done, including this whole "post one piece of art a day" thing I'm doing. I'm a serial doodler, I love to sketch, but I never finish anything.

I took a drawing class this semester that really changed my outlook on my own skill, and the merit of the work of others. I also learned what is probably the most important the lesson ever in that class, be it in an artistic capacity, or otherwise; how to finish something. I've completed every assignment for that class, and even though I've hit rough patches, I've worked through them.

For some reason though, I was beginning to think this was something I wouldn't be able to surmount. I've never taken my own idea to a polished and complete state before, it's easy enough to draw something that's in front of you, but this was a whole other animal.

I tried working on the image I posted last night a little more, so that I could throw it up here and then call it a night, but I just couldn't do that. I feel like I've gotten away with that a lot this month and it was really making me feel disappointed in myself.

After repainting the post from last night four different times I decided enough was enough and started over. I sat looking at my screen for a bit and it just appeared to be like a barren wasteland before me, and it echoed how I felt in my mind. My inspiration was dry, I felt like I had nothing left to give. A few minutes passed and then I looked at the painting I posted last night, that's when it hit me. All this time I've been approaching this in a way that wasn't true to my own style, that's why I've been so frustrated. I was trying to work like other people do, and I don't work like other people! This is how I work!

Above is a video I recorded yesterday while I was finishing my final project for my drawing class, after I had my little epiphany I decided to watch that video again. It solidified that previous thought in my brain as the truth, that I had to treat this the same way I did that drawing, and then I'd be fine. So that's just what I have for you here, take a look.


I'm extremely happy with this sketch, I definitely think that with a couple more days worth of work this will be something I'd be ecstatic to include in my portfolio.

Anyway, that's all for this evening. If you made it through all of that text I salute you!

Don't forget to check back tomorrow for something new, thanks for reading everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment