Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Hey everyone, it's time for another update!

I mentioned last night I'd be working on my creature a bit more today, and that's exactly what I did. This is a sketch I started on my iPad then worked on a bit in Photoshop, have a look.


It's, uh, I don't like it. But that's not a bad thing! While I was working on this I had a whole bunch of references up, thinking about what sort of things I wanted to incorporate into the design, and I got lost along the way. I think the best part about working this way (actually thinking everything through before I jump into a finished piece) is that I can see why I don't like something, versus just feeling like my drawing is "bad" and wanting to set it on fire. 'Cause the whole 'setting it on fire' thing is usually how I'll feel.

Here's a close up of the face on the original concept sketch I got this whole idea from.


Way different from the image above this one, and I think a lot more unique. I think I was so focused on working from my studies that I forgot the importance of my original sketch. The drawing up top is simply too derivative, and that's why it doesn't work. What I now know I need to focus on is the nuances of avian anatomy, and make sure that's incorporated into the final piece. If I succeed in doing that, then it will still read as a bird without looking like it's Hawkman and Big Bird's love-child (which is kinda what's happening at the top of this post).

So that's all for today, check back tomorrow for something new! 

No comments:

Post a Comment