Friday, September 18, 2015

Hey everyone, it's time for a new post!

I've got a really strange and awesome flower for tonight's post, check it out!


This is a black bat flower (tacca chantrieri), it's super cool, and it was also the most difficult thing I've drawn thus for for these exercises! I had difficulty initially finding good references for it, because there are several different kinds, and also because everyone was only posting pictures of it from the front. Since I'm thinking about these forms in three dimensions, and then drawing them in two, it's really important to be able to see what I'm drawing all the way around. I eventually just threw caution to the wind and drew it without a reference. Luckily I correctly picked up on how the flower formed by analyzing it. I only know this because about halfway through drawing it I finally found an image of it from behind!

Drawing this particular flower was much more difficult than all of the others before it. Everything else I've drawn were pretty large simple shapes, and this is really just a bunch of lines. Once I figured that out I was alright, but it took a couple doodles to work that out. I'm really happy that I tried drawing something different and benefited so greatly from it.

That's all for this post, check back tomorrow for something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment