Sunday, September 20, 2015

Hey everyone, it's time for another update!

Tonight marks the end of my plant studies! For that reason I wanted to go out with a bang, though considering the flower I chose, it's really more of a stench. Take a look!


This is Rafflesia arnoldii, and it's probably best known (if you're a Pokemon fan) as the flower found growing atop of a Vileplume's head. While Vileplume's special ability is chlorophyll, this flower doesn't actually produce any, nor does it have any roots or leaves! It's pretty bizarre, and that's how I like my plants!

Drawing the center of the flower was pretty simple, it's just a hollow sphere with a hole on the top, however the petals were a bit more of a challenge. After some careful sketching on many scraps of paper I figured out how to draw them. By dividing the flower into five parts, a part for each petal, I plotted out where I wanted them to be. Once that was done I drew a line in between each of those sections up from the bottom of the flower to the top, then pulled that line outward. I used that line as my guide and then drew the edges of each petal. Since everything was now laid out, I just rendered in the details and scrawled some notes to the right.

I learned an immense amount working on these past few plant studies. I think the best part was the fact that all those seemingly odd exercises I was working on before jumped right to the front of my brain when I encountered a problem I thought I couldn't overcome. I'm really glad I ended up doing some extra practice with those arrow exercises, because they really came in handy with this drawing in particular.

Well that's all for tonight's post, thanks for checking it out! Tomorrow's gonna mark the start of a new theme, so don't forget to stop by again then, see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment