Monday, February 15, 2016

Grey Gardens

I must confess I've been feeling a little artistically challenged these last few days. I've got time, resources, and space to create, but it's just not really happening. I keep starting pieces and then abandoning them for some reason. I've got two such images to share with you this evening, take a look.


This character, and his location for that matter, are pretty reminiscent of what I already created here. Looking at this critically now I'm realizing a small part of why I've been frustrated with my work lately. I keep forgetting about the story! I'm not asking important questions like, "who is this character?", "what is he doing there?", "what is he looking at?", and so on. I feel like I'm drawing for the sake of it, which is definitely not my goal. If anything it's counterproductive! Here's another sketch I started this evening.


I think there's a lot more going on here as far as story goes, but I feel like I needed to develop this character's story further before I tried to convey it in a drawing.

I don't really know what the future holds for this blog at the moment. Last year it was a way for me to draw more, and to commit to improving, but I feel like my art's kind of stagnating right now. I don't know if I'm wrestling with artists block or what, but I feel like I've got to do something different.

Maybe I need a break?

No comments:

Post a Comment