Friday, March 13, 2015

Hey everyone, here's your update for Friday night!

This is the painting I worked from today.


Pierre Auguste Renoir - "Summer Landscape"

This painting is fantastically gorgeous, and it was really hard to reproduce. I thought yesterday's piece had a lot of color, this one takes the cake.There's an interesting use of texture to imply detail too. The brush strokes in the background on the left are a bit softer, and blend a bit better, where as the brush strokes in the foreground on the right are quite defined, creating the suggestion of detail. The only thing that looks slightly funny to my eye is how the right side of the image is more detailed than the left. I only think it strange because with photography, you wouldn't be able to achieve this kind of depth of field, or softness, on one side of the image. You'd only have one select area in focus normally, so everything slightly in front, and slightly behind the figure (this depth of field depends on the lens aperture) in focus. Everything outside of that range would be soft. I guess that's just a modern day nitpick from someone who also dabbles in photography. Moving on, let's see how I did!


 I'm actually exceedingly impressed with the way this turned out, truthfully it was a bit rushed so I was worried I would drop the ball on this one. I must admit that due to a time crunch I did use the color picker in Photoshop to get some of those shades in there to save me some time, but once I had a few colors on there I could pick from my own document to finish the rest of the image. I guess that's why it's not quite perfect! I won't say it looks super exact, but I feel like it's a really nice interpretation of the piece. This week has been a crazy stylistic journey for me, there are definitely bits of every artist I've studied this week in this painting, and I think that's why it looks so cool!

To finish this week off for tomorrow's post I've picked an incredible piece of impressionistic art by Monet, I wonder if you'll be able to guess what it is.

Check back tomorrow to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment