Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Hey everyone! It's time for another blog post. I've decided recently to go back to school and get a degree that encompasses a lot of my interests (digital photography, drawing, painting, web design, programming), and I'm super excited about it. I start school in about a week and I can't wait! While I was looking through one of my books on design for one of the classes I'm about to take I stumbled upon this picture.

(The above image was saved from wikipedia, I do not claim ownership of this image. It was posted as a reference.)

I had just recently made a custom brush set in Photoshop that looked similar to the strokes Monet used for the image so I thought it would be pretty fun to try my hand at painting my own version.

I started off with a super big canvas, didn't sketch or plot anything out, just painted. It was a really fun exercise. It's easy to get caught up in producing "Art." Something that has to look a certain way, or appeal to a person, or be something worthy of selling, but this was something I wanted to do to remind myself that the first reason why I do this sort of thing is because I enjoy it. So after about an hour this is what I came up with!


It's narrower, everything isn't quite aligned right, but it was a blast to do. The thing that really sticks with me anytime I do a study of a master work like this is how much color is used. There are so many different hues, tints, and values in this and the original painting it's crazy! It was really fun to create.

That's all for this update! I still want to do at least one more this month so look out for that one. Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment