Monday, June 22, 2015

Hey everyone, it's time for another update!

Today I decided to work in much the same way I did yesterday, using only three colors to create a finished piece. This time my color choice proved to be quite problematic.

Let's start with the colors I picked for today's painting.


Green


Yellow Green


Red Violet

They look kind of neat together, right? That's what I thought until I made this, have a look.


It's very much unfinished, but that's because I felt like there was no saving it. The colors seemed way too saturated to work together, so I decided to try again. That's when I ended up with this.


It was at this point in the painting that I realized I diluted the colors by mixing them together so that they were too desaturated to be interesting. I didn't want to add any pure color back in because it would have just been to bright against the rest of the more neutral hues in the piece. At this point I decided one of the colors needed to go, so I swapped out the green for yellow, and this is what the result looked like.


It's not anything incredibly remarkable, but I'm satisfied with it. It's giving me a very late 80's comic book color vibe, which isn't a bad thing, the subject matter's just not that interesting.

I think for tomorrow's piece I'm going to try to stick to my minimal color theme, but I'll be granting myself the use of black and white. It's going to help me to get what I want out of these pieces, learning about color and relationships between color, but it's also going to help me make a piece that reads a little bit better.

Check back tomorrow for something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment